Tuesday, November 16, 2010

these days.

A bunch of new Flatlanders moved in over the summer.  I wrote about that in a couple of posts earlier this year ... (see story and planning entries)

 Anyway, its been a while now since we all started sharing the same address and calling it HOME.  I'm going to try and capture some of the details of these last few months, knowing that I cannot do it justice in this format . I'm gonna try anyways.  There have been many sweet, inspiring times.  It goes without saying that the positive isn't all there is, right?  Its so, so GOOD to live and learn with others.
  • imagine a mixture of pj's, chore lists, mops and buckets, smells of pine sol mixed with bacon, bed-heads, loud music, finding teenagers hiding from their jobs, and you're starting to get a picture of our saturday morning deep clean routine.  The working together is a highlight of my week. (I also kinda like it when the floors aren't sticky...)
  • loving other people's kids.  and other people loving our kids.  and our kids loving being Flatlanders.  I think my heart could explode!
  • flatlanders sunday at WCV - a bunch of us leading singing and playing music, a bunch of us bringing tours through the space, a bunch of us sharing about what it means to live in community.  We were all proud of us.
  • 5 community meals per week and you never know what you're gonna get...Beet burgers, anyone?! -(very tasty, by the way...)  There is so much fun just waiting to be found in our freezer.
  • dreaming - how can we be more present in the neighborhood?  what does it mean to be present?  what does it mean that home is here and here is home?
  • hanging out.  usually on the 2nd floor.  there is often someone ready to chat .. maybe even give a shoulder massage!
  • capture the flag!! picture it ... about 2000 square feet of warehouse, 2 teams of all ages, all the lights out after dark... and the 'flags' are Owen's old skateboards.  90 minutes of giggles - and not only from the girls!
  • one of my sweet nieces,  getting ready for bed during the weekly sleepover: "I want to go say goodnight to the people.  ALL the people."
  • conversations about calling, about downward mobility, about Jesus, about seeing and not seeing, about allowing transformation and challenging expectations, theology students finding lots of unique dialogues
  • interns who want to serve and learn and love in such beautiful ways it makes my heart hurt

this is the lid from the honey jar. We find lots of creative ways to communicate.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job I for sure got a visual of life around Flats!

    ReplyDelete