Saturday, February 5, 2011

both/and

I was watching a movie recently, and this line from the soundtrack stood out; 


'you can still stop and smell the roses and be on a mission'. 

 I had/have been thinking about BOTH/AND much these days.  You know, 'both/and' as opposed to 'either/or'.  


We can BOTH be on a mission AND have the kind of life that pauses to smell the roses.  Both/And.  We don't have to choose between them. 


huh.  Might seem simple to lots of you, but it's taken me my whole life so far to come to this realization!  


Both/And.  Not either/or all the time.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is a fantastic picture! so cute! and you write very well, thank you for blogging :D I'm new to writing so it was refreshing to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so then what? How do you change from an addiction to either/or thinking and embrace the beauty and fullness of both/ and? I yearn for seeing the world through both/and eyes but keep falling into the rut of either/or. Any wisdom, my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dunno, vicki, both/and seems like a circular way of thinking. i feel lately like i've been recognizing how much of my thinking and living was linear ... one thing to the next thing, feeling bad if any doubling back happened. Always focused on a goal rather than of the path.
    both/and means embracing potential tension and chaos. its a big change for me!
    for me, both/and is a new way of seeing and understanding and I am enjoying its presence in my life!

    ReplyDelete