![]() |
| photography found at: http://www.orkut.com.br/Mai |
When I get into this space, I inevitably feel like the people around me don't have any idea what I'm experiencing. And that they can see right into me. They've got their acts together, they wouldn't have anything to do with what I'm wincing at the mere thought of.
So, before our family holiday, I called up a friend (at 10pm!) and asked if she had any wine and a few minutes for me. She graciously said yes (to both requests!), and even thanked me for coming over! Then I told one of my sisters my secret. (I could only tell one of them, it was all I could manage.) My husband also knew. And I gave myself space to cry - several times, because I've learned that in some mysterious and beautiful way, crying untangles the knot that lives in my stomach in times of grief. Both my friend and my sister told me that they understood it was a huge deal for me, this thing I wanted to hide from. They both shared similar experiences. And they both loved me anyway. They both found ways to say that their perception of me was not altered, and they both found gentle ways to encourage me to let it go.
It wasn't long before the memory didn't have the same power over me. I can think about it now and not want to hide or even wince. Someone told me once (a therapist someone) that I showed signs of having been shamed - often - in my life. She was right. But, you know, those shaming patterns don't have to live forever. Over the years, I've learned how to practice vulnerability in some pretty freeing ways. And, I've been acting - with a great many stumbles - on some decisions about what and who will have power over me.
The stuff thats happened over the course of my life - for a long time I wanted to bury it. And finally, I just accepted that it was what it was. And that I was going to keep having to cope with it; in new ways as I changed and as the years progressed. It wasn't healthy to believe that there would come a day when it would be behind me forever. I had to let go of the 'I've dealt with it' mentality and replace it with a 'I'm dealing with it' perspective.
I like the way Petersen talks about living creatively together in Galatians 6; 'Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.'
This post was inspired by a site I found by reading the very worst missionary's post about Second Chances. Check out this site - dedicated to gracious living and being people of many chances.
thanks for reading! don't be shy to leave comments.

I sometimes have a conversation with my shame. Most often, I will tell it that it doesn't get to live in my skin. It always visits, but can't linger or pitch a tent. There are certain shameful feelings that are present through no genuine action of our own--that's the kind of stuff I feel compelled to give a talkin' to.
ReplyDelete