Monday, July 14, 2008

What I'm not reading, and "stuff"

I haven't been doing any 'spiritual' reading lately. Not a devotional book, not the Bible, nada. I'm sort of disappointed with myself, because I usually do spend time reading those... especially on vacation. Normally, I come away from vacations filled up with some insight or new learning, something that energizes me for weeks afterward. Not this time. Hmmm. I don't like it. I feel sad about it.

While I've not been reading, (at least very recently), I've been at home sorting and decluttering and re-organizing our house. Sydney is now in the basement, and the office is in the process of coming upstairs in the recently vacated spare room. I'm amazed at the stuff we have. Actually I'm amazed at the s**t we have.

Granted, the move here was quick and we didn't really sort anything, we just threw things into boxes and threw the boxes onto a U-Haul .. I started work after living here for two days, and so we'd still not really unpacked a lot of stuff. (Who knew a year was so short?!) But still, I'm trying to be self-evaluative here, and I keep asking myself: "Kelly, why did you ever bring this into the house? What makes you think you need this? Why are you looking to make space for this?"

The answer is inevitably something that starts with 'what if....' or 'maybe....' As in 'maybe at thanksgiving, I'll fill this wicker cornucopia thing with fallen leaves and autumn florals' or 'what if I get really crafty someday and then I'll need these needles/pieces of fabric/ribbons/10 year old pine cones' .... WHO do I think I'm fooling? I've carted around tons of CRAP for years!! And, yes, I sometimes use it, but mostly, it just moves from house to house - but not only that, it GROWS from one house to the next. I really want to stop this behaviour. I think I might need an intervention.

The one thing I defend (at least for now) is BOOKS. I love books. And I've read at least half of the books I own. Maybe even more. Someday I'll read them all. Really, I will.

1 comment:

  1. There is no such thing as spiritual and non spiritual books...there are good books to read and there are crappy books...but everything is spiritual...everything! So dont feel bad! :)

    ReplyDelete