Friday, September 12, 2008

friendships

Wounds from a friend are better than kisses from an enemy. It says that in Proverbs. I want to express that in life. I want to trust the Lord to 'wound' me in order to bring about growth and transformation inside me - and for the most part, He'll be needing others to co-operate with Him. Are you up for that? Are you committed to playing this role with all your friends?

There are so many encouragements about friendship and supporting each other in Scripture.
How do we do that.. how do we have the courage to speak honestly to each other... in love? Do you experience that in friendships? Do you feel truly held up, loved for who you are as well as who you aren't?

I'm preparing for an upcoming retreat where I'll be sharing the speaking duties with an incredible new friend and woman of God.. we want to talk about relationships, and the theme of the weekend is friendships.

God encouraged me through friends this week, and I received love and concern, prayers and encouragements through the hands and words of God's people. I was reminded how vital it is that we submit to each other and hear what needs to be heard. Its vital that we have the courage to say what needs to be said, too. I received other kinds of gifts through friends, too.

One friend told me that I had slighted my husband in a conversation where she was present. She was sort of sheepish as she said it, but concluded with 'I love you and I know you want to grow, and I know you can handle this.' I realized immediately that she was right, I had intervened unnecessarily in a situation I should have let alone. I went from our visit straight to Bren to ask for forgiveness. Later in the week, another friend interrupted me mid-sentence as I described something I was rather passionate and intense about, and asked if I meant to be coming across as angry and defensive... because if that wasn't my intent, then I needed to change my tone. Hmm. Two brave 'confrontations' from people who know how much I want to be like Jesus and who love me enough to push me toward that impossible goal I'll be working at for my whole life.

How about you? I'm really interested in how we love, encourage, push, and challenge each other. Has a friend wounded you in necessary ways? Have you received meaningless kisses from people who don't really care about your transformation as a disciple? Has a challenging truth been lovingly shared with you? How commom is this? What does the content of our friendships say? I'm interested in knowing...

4 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this. I want so much to have these friendships with people. It is key to growing. Unfortunately i can not come up with any situations. Only one where God was calling me to confront someone and i did not obey... That would explain why people may not confront me... hmmm.
    I am so excited to hear that you have the blessing of those kinds of frindships. I love it. Please pray that I will get there some day soon! I feel it coming... I am just not as real as I would like to be, there I said it. Me the fake hater is a fake ... maybe only sometimes but I am and I HATE that. I am going to go pray now. love you.

    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the heck people??? I think she was asking a question I am curious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary concept.. to open myself up to criticism not of the "things" I do.. but ME. The person of me. I have experienced this recently.. at the hands of a very good friend interested more in what I was becoming than what I was doing. It is hard, yes, but needed and, in the end, appreciated. It made me realize that not all people care about the "doings" in my life, but more about the heart and intent behind it all. That is deeper than I sometimes want to go. Fortunately, this friend seems to be digging and getting there and is able to say such things out of the love I know she has for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. I think she really loves you a lot.

    ReplyDelete