Thursday, November 20, 2008

Collaborative Journals and Advent

Lisa and I spoke at the Hepburn Ladies retreat. The planning committee told us that women were loving the yearly retreat, but often felt like busy-ness kept them from deeper connections on a regular basis (...everyone's life is so full) So, we asked ourselves what could be done to make the retreat to last longer than a weekend.. how connections made could continue, and women could keep 'journeying' together.

We came up with this idea of Collaborative Journals. In preparation, we did one together from the beginning of Sept. to the end of Oct. The way we did it was to pass it back and forth on Sundays... each having the journal one week on, one week off. Each week, each entry was different and unique. Some entries were prayers, some reflections, some poetic, some incorporated pictures and scrapbook-like pieces... sometimes we talked back and forth through the pages...

At the retreat, there was a sign-up for any women who wanted to do their own collaborative journals. All four we brought were spoken for, and even more women took the idea away and added their own creative twists. We've heard about lots of collaborative journaling taking place: spouses , mothers and daughters, small groups, even families.

This process reawakened my passion for journaling... I haven't stopped since early Sept. My previous pattern was to journal through anxious or difficult times, but not otherwise. I've started a journal with my sisters (I look forward to getting it no later than Dec. 8, Lisa!!) and was inspired to start another one with a good friend I really miss -- Cory, it will arrive in your mailbox shortly!


I was planning a post about advent conspiracy, but Jess did a really great job of that, so you can just read hers. Our church is engaging in AC this year, and I am looking forward to how that will be. The season quickly approaches, and I am so looking forward to it. I LOVE this time of year. I have so many great memories of family times around our advent wreath, the kids doing little puppet shows, praying for friends and family, preparing together for Jesus' birth. I hope to decorate the house soon. Although I've heard our favorite tree, Sir Uglyton, may have been pitched, so I might be very sad when the boxes come upstairs....

I found this funny little thing here ---- Some signs and symptoms of The Advent Virus:

* A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences. * An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment. * A loss of interest in judging other people. * A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others. * A loss of interest in conflict. *A loss of the ability to worry. (This is a very serious symptom.) * Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation. * Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature. * Frequent attacks of smiling. * An increasing tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen. *An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment