Sunday, November 2, 2008

surveying the cross


Mostly, surveying the cross results in feelings of overwhelming grief and overwhelming thankfulness... grief that it was necessary, thankfulness that there was a plan and Jesus was willing. Thankfulness too for what is available because of the cross.

Today though, I was standing beside my daughter in church, and i was the usual weepy mess during worship songs... (why is that, by the way? It is so rare that I am not moved by the words. It happens when I'm at home too, when I'm driving, or anytime I concentrate on the message... it drives my husband crazy. And why do I keep wearing mascara to church?!)

My daughter is singing. beautifully. She does that. I'm not just biased, she has an angelic voice. And I was gripped by the fact that i am so passionate, way down to the bottom of my toes and even deeper, about my kids knowing God. I mean KNOWING Him... for real. Not in a meeting anyone else's expectations kind of way. Not in a 'its what everyone around me does' kind of way. Not even in a 'its morally right' kind of way...

Nope, what I'm passionate about is that they end up walking through life side by side with Jesus, having no doubt that they're silly sheep who desperately need the guidance, voice, and wisdom of the Shepherd. Recognizing that there is something within them that can only be addressed by the cross of Christ. ... Laying down the wish to manage it themselves. I'm passionate that they become people of love and kindness, grace and forgiveness, purpose and passion, - and also that they accept those things from others and from God when they need it. I guess I'm passionate that they become Kingdom people; with a real and earthy love for God that doesn't need to be organized or structured, but is just deep and just true.

So today, I surveyed the wondrous cross... and realized that one of the most important things to me, of all things in the big wide world, is that these young ones who have been miraculously entrusted into my family, that they too would be awestruck by the wonderful cross.


"The Wonderful Cross"
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride
See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown
O the wonderful cross,
O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross,
O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and blessYour name
Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all
--Chris Tomlin

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand how everyone isn't weepy...

    ReplyDelete