
Have you met Christ in your interactions with others? Recently, I've met him repeatedly, and I'm so thankful for the gift. I'll share a few of these meetings with you - hoping to use story to point heavenward. I'm not the author of these little interactions, I'm just the grateful recipient.
Sometime in February, I met with an old friend who I'd heard was having a rough time. I really wanted to comfort and encourage her - I sought her out to bless her and pray with her. When we got together, it turned out that she was the one encouraging me. I saw Jesus in her eyes, they were broken and sad, and FULL of grace - then I heard a message from Him that my friend couldn't have known I was needing to hear. It was so surprising and unexpected.
Another time, a friend at work came to my office and prayed with me, without even talking too much before asking if we could pray together. The week before, we had talked about something difficult in her life, and I had been thinking of her often. As we were about to bow our heads, she looked into my eyes - and again - spoke words that would have been completely unknown to her as being the right ones. It was like Jesus was the one offering reassurance. Also, again - completely unexpected.
There have been so many inspiring moments with the Praying Ladies, I cannot pin down only one. One of the ladies often brings specific verses for the other two. Several times, the verse chosen has been unique or special already.. and the selection and reading of it by a caring friend just increases the significance.
During the service we attended as part of the Wpg. Missions Trip, a lovely woman from the congregation came to me during the worship time and said that she felt stirred to pray for me. She put her hand on my arm - it was such a warm and kind thing to do - and prayed words that were general, but I made them 'specific' in my own heart as I prayed with her. It was like Jesus had stood there with me, and the first few moments after she walked away felt strangely empty and cold. The answers to that prayer were evident within a few days.
At my sister Lorrie's place, she was sorting through some paperwork during my visit, and a little quote she had cut out weeks before fell from the papers. She felt it was meant for me. She took the liberty of rifling through my bag - knowing there would be some kind of journal in there - and pasted the verse in. A few days later, I was sitting on my bed - opened up the journal and was momentarily paralysed by the words I found there. Again.. she had no idea of the timing, but it was exactly right.
Other friends have asked extremely insightful questions, or made comments that re-direct my thinking. They cause me to look within and learn, and to know Jesus better through their stories and experiences.
Just tonight, a young woman who has been staying with us came into my room, where I was reading - (withdrawing?) - and shared some observations about the state of affairs in our home. She said that she feels welcome, but also feels like she is hurting and grieving with us, because there is a very heavy feeling in our home. Her words made me so sad, and I wished that we were offering her the jovial and fun house we often have, wished that her time with us could be different and lighter. This is the second conversation we've had in as many days where my tears just spring up without any warning- and they don't hinder or alter the conversation - they just flow. She said, simply, that these circumstances are "real - and thats okay." Her observations felt like something Jesus among us might say or do- simply reminding me where to focus and how to "be" with him. Not making demands about "doing," but reminding me of the blessing and responses to life that should come from simply "being" with him.
The lesson is that Jesus is everywhere - all the time, but never is it more evident than when we are at a place of broken-ness. And when two people in that place come together and look for encouragement, Jesus meets that and fills the space between them with himself.
The other lesson is that these interactions happen between people who are just true and just honest. The is absolutely no pretense or falseness. That is when Jesus is fully, powerfully present, when there is no hypocrisy at all. There is so much in me that wants to fight that low and vulnerable place, that wants to protect myself from both getting there in the first place, and then from allowing anyone to see me there or know that I'm there. Why do we always want to put on the act of self sufficiency? We might be fooling men, but we're not fooling God - and we are discouraging his presence and guidance when we take on that independent "I can do it myself!" stance.We can be so foolish. And living in the Kingdom of God is so very, very different from what we see in the world around us.
Jesus responded, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe?” John 11:40
Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” John 3:3
Jesus felt sorry for them and touched their eyes. Instantly they could see! Then they followed him. Matthew 20:34
Well said Kelly.
ReplyDelete