Wednesday, October 20, 2010

walk for healing

A couple weeks back, I was driving across the prairies on my way home from classes... I always keep my eye open for people needing a ride, and as I was nearinig Broadview, SK I saw some young people walking along the road.  I was pretty sure they weren't hitchhikers, but something prompted me to stop anyways and say hello.  So I pulled over and waited for them to catch up to my truck...

 I asked what they were up to, and they told me they were walking for Healing.  I was intrigued!  Our conversation continued, and I became more and more impressed.  Each day, the group walks for a different kind of healing, or for different groups of people to be healed.  They are not focusing on any specific 'illness' - they are talking to the Creator, each other, and anyone else who is interested about all kinds of physical, spiritual, emotional, and relational healing.  They've walked for kids in care, for moms and dads, for reconciliation in Canada and lots of other themes.
They started out in May in Kamloops, BC, and are hoping to winter in Winnipeg, with a possible re-start to the East coast in the spring.  I hope to spend some time with them while they're in my city!
If you're interested in knowing more, and you're on facebook, check out the Justin Young Walk of Healing page. 
I ended up having luch with the walkers and enjoying my time with them immensely.  Each one had a story to share, and they did so with beauty, vulnerability, and wisdom.  It was a gift to meet up with them.  I would have missed out on so much if I'd have just driven by!  (so keep your eyes peeled if you're driving along the #1 highway west of Winnipeg!  It's pretty easy to stop and share snacks and encouragement!)


I snapped this picture later on that weekend, when I caught up on the week with my husband while we enjoyed a picnic near Sturgeon Creek... it was supposed to be a family event, but the kids were excused after whining for 2 hours about how lame family picnics are.  We had fun without them!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds really interesting. Reminds me of when I was in "Tinos" Greece, and people were climbing up a mountain to a church on their hands and knees, to help heal people...amazing.


    I am currently working for Silverbullet films and we are filming a documentary on the widows of the 1990's genocide in Bosnia starting on the 30th, please help support the cause by visiting our blog :)

    Or by clicking the "like" button on our facebook page "Village of the Forgotten Widows" It will take two seconds but make a big difference for these women who lost everything.

    -Kassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so encouraging. I love you for stopping to talk to people on the side of the road and allow yourself to hear and care the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Kel!!
    I like picnics!

    ReplyDelete