Saturday, September 3, 2011

recommends

been such a great summer, thought I'd jot down a few favorite things we've seen and done this year ...   enjoy!

We had planned a nice dinner out while on holidays, but then, as is often the case while away, plans changed.  So, the following weekend we were back in Winnipeg and went to The Current at the Forks.  Dinner was really good, then we shared a chocolate mousse-brownie dessert made with Callebaut Dark Chocolate.  It was all so, so nice.  We are not in the habit of going out for expensive meals, so this was a rare treat.  It didn't hurt that it was a beautiful summer night at the Forks, and that we were on foot.  If you haven't walked around downtown, the Exchange, or the Forks this summer, I hope you get a chance soon!

I read Michener's ALASKA over the course of a couple of weeks - including two solid days when I was sick.  I'm such a fan of Michener's writing -   he's such a thorough researcher.  The way he ties things together, weaving the details from 1000 years ago into the present reveals such a talent for storytelling. 868 pages though - not for the easily distracted.   There were so many different perspectives of Aboriginal contact with Russians and Americans.  I really appreciated the care taken to show the difference between diverse clans and groups.  In particular, the Aleutian Natives are characterized as a peace loving, spiritual, reflective people.  Here's part of the story of one Aleut 'conversion' attempt -
 'Gravely, the shaman place Cidaq on a stool and took a position facing her; then, as if he were summarizing his entire life, he began speaking: 'young woman, have you not seen the Russian Christianity?  Has it done anything for our people?  Has it brought us the happiness they promise? Has it brought food (back to our island, after the merciless hunting and senseless killing of our food supply)? Do they love us as their Book says they should?  Do they respect us? Do they allow us entrance into their places? Have they given us any new freedoms, or even preserved the ones we had built for ourselves? Is there anything ... any one thing you can think of ... any good thing their God has given us? And, is there any good thing which we already had which they have not taken away?'"  
This particular plotline goes on to tell about Cidaq's long journey to reconcile the beliefs of her people and her childhood to the 'new way' brought by the Russian colonizers. Another 'contact' story is about sailors taken in and cared for by a small village.  Exposed to the Natives traditions and way of life, the sailors embrace new perspectives about them, genuinely SEEING them as people, not savages.  I'm sure there were many stories like this in the history of our continent - there just weren't ENOUGH of them.

We spent a couple of near Melville, Sk.  A good part of one of our days was at the Motherwell Homestead, near Abernethy, Sk. Even if you don't live in SK, the Qu'appelle Valley is gorgeous and this National Park Site is worth the drive.  The Motherwell family was important in early Saskatchewan History.  The house and barn were built of stone that took over 8 years to collect from the surrounding countryside.  The family had come from Ontario and brought some revolutionary ideas to prairie farming.  Mr. Motherwell's second wife was a teacher in the local residential school, where she apparently opposed the mandate of complete assimilation.  She allowed children to speak in their own languages, and tried to respect their history.  She was known as a 'difficult and strong minded woman' - I wished there were more of her history available!

We watched the Beatrix Potter biography, with Renee Zellweger.  What a lovely, sweet story.  Without giving away too much of the story, (because you should watch it if you haven't!) - I loved seeing the way that Beatrix grieved.  It seems rare to me to see such deep emotion in a film, expressed so humanly.  (maybe thats because my favorite genre is fluffy romantic comedies, watched purely for entertainment and escapism?)  Beatrix was a feisty and eccentric woman, and she became the best selling children's author of all time.  She had imagination, confidence, perseverance, and she wasn't flattened by rejection or ridicule. I was surprised that I remembered the names of several of her characters.... I think I love Jemima Puddle Duck best, but maybe its just because of her fun name.  Here's a quote from the movie, when Beatrix meets her soon to be best friend, Millie;
"I have decided that you and I are going to be friends. Norman tells me that you are unmarried, as am I, and that you're not unpleased about it... as am I.  I warn you, I am prepared to like you very, very much, and I plan to enjoy each others company quite a lot!"  
I'm sure it was just as risky to say such things in Beatrix's day as it is in ours, and I am always drawn to those who have the confidence to be honest and vulnerable.

Without meaning to do it, I've talked about three strong and unique women in this post.... maybe I should also recommend that you have a peek at my women and strength board on pinterest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment