Yesterday, our family received the best gift we've ever gotten. No joke. Someone could give us a new car or a cruise in the tropics and it would not compare.
We've made a friend in our neighborhood, I'll call him Sam.
Sam lives across the street from us in a building on Jarvis and Main. He mustn't spend much time in his suite though, because he is always around. I see him often when I meet the kids at the bus stop, or if we go for a walk, he sometimes joins us, because he's just hanging around.
Sam knows everything that is going on around the neighborhood, he'll tell you who the police were talking to, when they were at a certain location, .. he can almost always tell you who was doing what, and when they were doing it. He won't normally tell you why though, he's a facts only kind of guy!
Sam's story is a sad one. He was assaulted with a metal pipe many years ago, right on Main street, and suffered extensive brain damage. His memory is full of holes.. but is amazingly sharp at the same time. He doesn't forget an appointment or a date; if we say we're all going out for lunch in two weeks, he doesn't need to be reminded! (In fact he reminds us!) Or if we invite him to an event, like the coffee house we had last week, he just remembers and comes... right on time! But, if I ask him if he knows our names... not so much. He just gets this twinkle in his eye, scratches his head and says.. 'I forget'. He is coming for breakfast on Christmas morning, and I already know the doorbell will ring at exactly 10am... and he'll be wearing a new shirt, because we told him it's a special occasion.
Yesterday, at drop in, Sam brought our family some Christmas presents. A pair of socks for Owen, a scarf for me, a Christmas stocking with soap for Syd, and gloves for Bren. ohh... and sweets. He always gives us sweets!
I will wear my new scarf often, thankful most of all for the gift of this friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment