Tuesday, December 22, 2009

collaborative journals

sometime in 2008, a little movement of 'collaborative journalling' started in Hepburn.. the idea was encouraged by two women speaking at a retreat together. At one point, there were journals being exchanged in church foyers and offices, over coffee and playdates. I have no idea how many of those original journals continued, but I do know that I've continued with the 'original' collaborator and with several others.
As I read through the various journals I am part of during my 'turn', i am inspired by community, faithfulness, and vulnerability. These little glimpses of friendship are creative and they radiate warmth and joy, in spite of being pretty raw sometimes.

I hope that this wasn't just a little trend that came and went for a few of us! Just incase the idea inspires you, here is a little encouragement to go ahead and DO it for yourself ..... (it could be a 2010 project!)


  • It is not as time consuming as one might think!

  • Any journal, notebook or scribbler lying around the house will do.

  • this is an AWESOME idea for staying in touch with distant friends - it only costs a few dollars to mail the journal within Canada-

  • its also a great way for those of us who see each other lots to get a glimpe into whats going on below the surface..

  • it is a great way to pray for each other or share what you're learning, what is making the journey interesting, challenging, or beautiful

  • over time, it is a valuable way to inspire each other with evidences of growth and learning

  • an entry or two each month is all that is needed..(or more if you have time is fun too!)

  • creativity (color, sketches, images/words from magazines, snapshots, stickers or scrapbook-y stuff) makes it so much fun ... especially when your styles are different and the beauty of diversity is right there on the pages in front of you!

  • multi-generational is good, i love the journal I'm sharing with a recent high school grad, I'm about to read about her new experiences at the U of S after I finish this post...

Creative ways to share and learn together are awesome. Community is good in all its shapes and forms...

Happy journalling!

No comments:

Post a Comment