Thursday, April 15, 2010

healthy people...

Counselling students can get awfully caught up in thinking about dysfuction and pathology.  Sometimes it feels like we're swimming in sick-ness - its all we read, write, talk about, especially when we have boatloads of papers to write and assignments to finish. (thats where I am right about now...)

So, its healthy to gain some perspective every once in a while.  Here are some thoughts about healthy human characteristics ... (straight from a biblical counselling textbook!)

  • open and vulnerable approach to relationship, without need for defensiveness or self protection
  • acceptance of pain and conflict as part of life and relationship - without withdrawing, spiritualizing
  • ability to grasp the importance of timing and discretion with regard to conflict
  • experience a marred, but real, joy - sadness because things are not as they should be, without expressing their disappointment as anger... 'groaning', but confident (see Romans 8:22)
  • times of intimacy and awareness of God's touch and presence, anchored by long periods of 'quiet allegiance'
  • not fearful of confusion, tolerance - even welcoming of uncertainty
  • okay with struggling and failing
  • know repentance, authentic repentance
  • not controlled by emotional trouble (nor free of it)
  • able to experience profound hurt or loneliness without repression or denial
"[these] are worthy of an image-bearer... I find myself hungering for this kind of life.  I want MORE than freedom from painful memories and repressed emotions.  I want MORE than understanding of how forces within my unconscious have been shaped ... I want community, community with God and others...."
            - paraphrased list above and this quote from Larry Crabb, Understanding People.

What do you think? Does this text resonate?

1 comment:

  1. Oy! I want those things too! This one really resonated with me: "acceptance of pain and conflict as part of life and relationship - without withdrawing, spiritualizing"

    We seem to be so uncomfortable with the concept that some things are simply out of our control. I tire of the pat responses "God doesn't give us anything we can't handle." Is it God who is giving us cancer, the death of a child, etc.? Why is it not ok to be completely overwhelmed? Why must every event of life has some greater meaning? Why can't the journey simply be the journey?

    ReplyDelete