Friday, April 23, 2010

let forgiveness be my sword...

I went to a forgiveness ceremony at Thunderbird House today.  It's part of a journey towards a National Summit being held in Ottawa in June.  It was so inspiring and good.  As soon as I sat down, I felt like I was in a sacred moment, the sense of privilege was overwhelming.

About a year ago, Prime Minister Harper issued an public and sweeping apology to the First Nations Community for historic wrongs, most especially the Residential Schools and Assimilation policies that have done such extensive harm.  He also asked for forgiveness.

The June Summit being held in Ottawa, and the ceremony I attended today, are part of a response to that request for forgiveness.  A movement is afoot to encourage Aboriginal Canadians to let go of anger and to forgive.  To actively participate in reconciliation...

There were moving songs about redemption and unity, about the Creator who is honored when we forgive and hurt when we don't.  The oral tradition was alive and well, and we heard about forgiveness as an ancient teaching and a modern teacher, as a gift and a sword.  The people gathered were asked to release their right to judge and be angry.

We were reminded, in the place of Louis Riel's story, that the Metis People are a unique expression of reconciliation and 'New Canada'; that Metis leaders have unique and influential voices for our time.

The drum was played several times, and I learned from some of the ladies sitting by me that women were the keepers of the songs in days gone by.  Men went to hunt and might be gone for long periods, the women were needed to preserve and care for the tradition.

More info here.

Also, there is a service and potluck meal at St. Lukes on Nassau Street on Saturday (24th) night, 5pm.

Have you checked out the Truth and Reconciliation Commission?  There is a Winnipeg event being planned at the Forks in June.  Other events will happen across Canada in the year ahead.  This is something that would be important to attend for all Canadians.

The pamphlet I picked up today says these good words;



                         Releasing Forgiveness
Healing A Nation
Embracing Freedom

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment