We hosted a team of local students on an innercity ministry exposure week.
Here we are on day one ...
I sent the team on a prayer artifacts walk early in the week.
This is one of the artifacts... a piece of metal found nearby, both a reminder of
how scrap metal is a source of income for some people in our neighborhood, but also
a profound image of the 'incompleteness' that is common to all of us.
We visited with some neighbors in a nearby housing complex.
It was a spontaneous time, and ended up being a great afternoon where
we learned that 'unplanned' can lead to great opportunities. (and great photos!)
The whole week was an exercise in trusting for me, as my preference would be
to schedule and orchestrate in 8 minute blocks.. but I resisted my tendencies and it was great.
The theme of our week was 'Beauty in Unlikely Places - Seeing beyond the Stereotypes'
We were building towards a shared meal with new friends on Good Friday. It was a success! We served about 50 people and made some good connections.
The week ended with a Walk of the Cross. Nate led us to several nearby locations where
neighbors and friends were remembered, and their stories told. This was poignant not only because of
Passion Week, but also because we'd been reflecting as a team during the week about the importance of relationship because it honors people who are often stereotyped or judged in our society.
This is just me :)
It was taken at my sister Lisa's place, on a night when my three sisters and I got
together with our mom's sisters. I wore this colorful scarf because it was my mom's.
I've carried it around with me all these years (along with a few other momentos...)
This year makes 20 years since she died.
One of my favorite faces at our drop in....
One of the big projects I worked on this month was an Adult Series in our church..
I facilitated discussion about Addiction as a Spiritual disorder...
I 'assigned' a creative response project for the Easter Sunday class.
This is my husbands painting
... a little interpretation? ... addiction blocks out the light of relationship, the beauty of life. There is a 'boulder' in front of the Light.. but as it was on Easter Sunday, it can be rolled away to reveal a radically different and renewed Life.
he's deeper than he lets on, that sweet hubby of mine...!
and this was my creative response. it comes mostly from a worship song I adore called
Stand on The Rock... I just wanted a visual reminder of what is fundamental for me in the midst of great insights and theories about human behavior...
Out on a walk by the Red River...
'mom, can i take this signpost home and put it in my room?'
... 'NO...!!'
'okay, then at least take my picture with it!'
Well, this teared me up! Just lovely. I'm particularly moved by the workshop/art pieces on addiction. I had never quite thought of it that way before. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteLoved, loved this post! WOW! I love the activities you do with the kids!
ReplyDelete