like lots of bloggers, here is a year end compilation of best-ofs, reflections, hopes, thoughts.. all because of the way we understand the significance of that moment between December 31 and January 1st...
best moments of 2010 -
- the year starting with an engagement as the clock struck 12:01 ... followed by a May wedding at our house!
- deciding to stay long term at Flats
- starting practicum, moving in the direction of dreams, seeing the fruit of hard work
- San Francisco with the family for 9 wonderful days in July!!
- finding out just how much I can cope with and realizing what is on the other side of getting to the place of NOT being able to cope anymore
- mini
escapesretreats - Grand Forks, Vancouver, Kenora, Calgary, Hepburn, even Caronport! - visiting another intentional community - Sojourners - and learning from their structure/practices
- receiving an indian name in a very moving and memorable way
- watching my husband become a student ... one who loves learning, does well, and is accomplishing goals that he never thought were possible for him
- seeing our kids grow into loving our crazy life and crazy choices - watching them interact and reap the benefits of living in community (and maybe even learn a few of the lessons it teaches....)
- having all sorts of new people move in with us, learning about people in deep and meaningful ways, learning what makes them tick and what makes them hide in their rooms.
- realizing that I might just be an okay therapist someday, and realizing that narrative ideas are a good fit with my values and passion for community. Sort of like a falling into something by accident and realizing that it maybe wasn't so accidental...
- spending time with nieces and nephews, realizing in every visit the deep joy that is part of these relationships! ' I yuv ewe, unka-telly' - accompanied by a tight squeeze of little arms around my neck - that has to be my favourite phrase of the year!
best books I read this year - I love books. I LOVE books - the paper pages and cover kind that we hold in our hand! I am saddened by the popularity of Kindle and its cousins because I'm afraid they signal the beginning of the end of real books. Here are a few of the bona fide books I loved flipping the pages of this year - cover to cover, with highlighter in hand!
- Stuart Murray's The Naked Anabaptist
- Katie Funk Wiebe's You Never Gave me a Name (Thanks, Lisa!)
- Hauerwas andVaniers's title in the Duke Reconciliation Series Living Gently in a Violent World
- Jonathan Wilson's (Sr.) Living Faithfully in a Fragmented World (I also enjoyed a coffee date with Jonathan in Vancouver, accompanied by Jess and Noah!)
treasured learning -
- both/and not either/or - more on this in a future post, I hope. Suffice it to say that I am internalizing and gaining insights about the co-existence of apparent extremes, learning about contrasts. Especially, I'm becoming more accepting of their frequency and regularity in all of life ... I'm embracing both/and and letting go of either/or. (I guess this is still on the theme of accepting tension)
- marriage - 2010 was hands down the hardest year of married life we've ever had. 2011 will (we hope) be the year of living out the things we learned and leaving behind the things that need to be left behind. Enough said.
reflections -
- 2009 and 2010 were both years that I'm glad to see the back-end of. Thats a yucky feeling - the inner war between being ungrateful and being honest.
- I'm so grateful for the consistent awareness throughout both years of the amazing gift of family and friends who love and support you through challenging circumstances. I am so grateful for people like Bren, Lorrie, Paul, Lisa, Ted, Karen, Bry, Andy, Bek, Lori, Warren, Lisa B, Sheryl, Zach, Jeff, Amanda, Carol, Rob, Gloria, Cath, Cynthia, Norma, Bruce, Cory, all the Flats (past and present!) - and many others who have supported, prayed, loved, cared, and encouraged. There are so many people (lots not named!) who consistently show me what it is to be a friend. My life is so rich because of the people in it.
- I can be honest about the consistent struggle in both years - we haven't been able to find the balance, consistency, or the certainty that we once had - yet we try to have a normal life in its absence. Here's to hoping that 2011 is the year of renewed stability.
looking forward to in 2011 -
- internship - as I write this, three possibilities for internship are yet to be sifted through and decided upon.
- more time with friends - we realize that much of our life is taken up with community living stuff, and then there's the business of making ends meet and having time as a couple or as a family... there's precious little left over! We are both resolving to spend more time with our amazing friends and family in 2011.


No comments:
Post a Comment