Monday, May 9, 2011

mothering - with confidence


Mothers Day seems to have a weird effect on us.  Some folks love it, others want to hide in a dark room and pretend it doesn't exist.  The feelings we have about mothers day seem to be at least partially tied to the feelings we have about our mothers, and whether we felt let down or failed by them in our youth.

Reading a few blogs this morning provided some interesting reflections.  I liked what Wendy McCaig had to say about being a non-traditional mom.  She recounted how she had a mom that wasn't very normal, and then became a mom that wasn't very normal.  Made me smile, because I've definitely heard my kids say frequently over the years that they wished I was just normal, more like their friends' moms.  Every once in a while though, I get to hear them say that they appreciate me just as I am.  That's nice to hear :)

I had a really nice day with my family yesterday, starting off with a great message in church.  Mike talked about mothering and discipling.  He wrapped up by talking about three important roles moms play in the shaping of their kids futures.
  1. Caregiving. (obviously)
  2. Dreaming - as in dreaming on behalf of their kids, naming the dreams, sharing the dreams, believing the dreams, holding the dreams up and keeping them alive
  3. Inviting their kids to participate in meaningful ways.  I think the jist of this one is that families do things alongside eachother, rather than always instructing; recognizing the unique contributions of kids rather than the capabilities of experienced parents.  I think it has something to do with how we 'belong' in our families.
What about you readers ... do you have a 'normal' mom?  What are your reflections on the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment