Thursday, May 19, 2011

movin' on up


I am the owner of an iPhone.  How strange.

Telus announced a free 3GS iphone package recently, and after investigating the details, we discovered that the monthly costs were only a few dollars more than our current rate.  So, we took the plunge and got the free phones.

It was weird walking away from the mall with the new phones in hand.  I actually felt nauseous, like I'd sold my soul to the Man or something.

In the last few weeks though, I've become a huge fan.  I think I spent a whole evening surfing through the app store.  Here are my favorite apps so far -

  • runkeeper.  keeps routes, kms, records, and records other exercises (walking, cycling)  Plus, it tells you your pace every five minutes, like a personal trainer.  Told me I ran just about 7k on Sunday morning, I was pretty happy with that!
  • loseit.  incase i needed the reminder that i consume more calories than I should 3 days out of 5.
  • whitenoise.  i actually use this in counselling sessions, clients like the soothing background sounds. (so do I)
  • cardstar. keeps a barcode image of your reward points cards. (airmiles, sobeys, petro can, hbc ...)  Great because my husband and I often shared rewards cards and ended up not getting the points when the person with the card wasn't the person at the till.
  • groupon.  i've bought a few groupons (the body shop one was a great deal!), and this app keeps track of them so I don't need a paper copy.  another convenience thing - how often have you clipped some coupon, only to leave it stuck to your fridge, then had an opportunity to use it and not had it on hand.  I do that all the time!
The main reason both my husband and I wanted the phone was to have a portable dayplanner and calendar.  With school assignments, community life, and kids activities we often are supposed to be in several places at once.  We've both heard the other say: 'oh, no, i forgot about that ... again' a few too many times lately.  
It's also pretty nice to have the camera.  We've lost all our photos twice in the last three years (crashing laptops with failed backups), and since the last time, I haven't even taken pictures off the camera - my heart just wasn't in it anymore.  I'm a little ashamed to say that it took this new 'toy' for me to get back to loving taking photos!  Here's a couple from lately...
We had a fundraising carwash for our daughter's upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic with her dance team.  Fun times!

First bbq nite in the greenspace this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment