Sunday, May 22, 2011

the spin cycle

When I started seminary, I was a little pie-eyed, a lot excited, and pretty naive about the whole process.  (I thought I knew what I was getting into...) Adding studies and changing careers to an already full life is not the hiccup I thought it would be.

Since I started my internship in March, life has been on 'spin cycle' - you know when you can see the colors flying by in the washing machine, but you have no idea if that streak of red is a sweater or a towel because everything is moving so fast?!?!?!

So, I've made some decisions --- first, the cap gown are going to have to wait one more year.  My plan to finish next spring is foolish!  I am putting the grad thing off for one more year, until 2013. (the same year as my son's high school grad!)

second, sometime in the next few months I will reduce my internship office hours somewhat.  Flats is still priority one for us, and that hasn't been reflected by my actual time in the building lately.  Not that its a duty - the community is a joyful place and being in it is usually pretty refreshing!

just deciding these two things has been freeing!  I spent some quiet time with my coffee and the reflections of an old friend this morning, and I realized how much I've been craving peace.

things are coming back into focus, after a little too much spinning....

Gracious is the Lord, and righteous.  Our God is merciful.  
He protects the simple (and the spinning), ...
 RETURN O MY SOUL TO YOUR REST. 
psalm 116:5-7

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the decision! I have decided to put off seminary indefinitely. Bums me out. Alas, I just gotta trust that things will work themselves out. "Return o my soul to your rest" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a beautiful verse and one i am definitely hanging on to theses days. ;) thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete