Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spilling over

In researching and reading many wonderful books, I ask myself some questions.. like:

  1. Why must I work? Why can't I just read and study and learn and be inspired?

  2. How did these people get so smart?

  3. and other questions like that. I also get distracted with coffee, facebook, snacks, many things.

So, I will inspire (bore?) (annoy?) (challenge?) you with some of the quotes I'm reading, because staying on track and just studying is so very difficult for me.

Peter Toon, in a book called God's Kingdom for Today: "When we ask ourselves 'how do we love ourselves', the answer, if we are honest, must be that we love ourselves selfishly. We are sinners, and we tend always to think of ourselves first. Therefore, since Jesus knew that our hearts are imperfect, he made clear the meaning of loving others by giving it definite content. After washing the sweaty feet of his disciples, he said "a new commandment I give to you, love one another'.. Later that day, Jesus referred to himself as the 'true Vine' to whom his disciples are united. He said, love one another as I have loved you. So, to love the neighbor is to imitate Christ; it is to love as he loved."


Have you ever known someone who somehow believed in you more than you could ever believe in yourself? The unwavering confidence of Jesus Christ in the church over the centuries is staggering - and its not because the church has earned it. - from The Magnificent Obsession, Swartz



The kingdom of God aches for courageous people who are willing to treat the wounds within the church.... more from Swartz.


No comments:

Post a Comment