As I type this, my good friend Zofia is asleep in our spare room. She was our neighbor in Winnipeg. Our houses were so close that one could reach out our north-south facing windows and touch the other! Her oldest son's room looked into our room. (Those blinds stayed closed 90% of the time!! )
Zofia is a gift. She won't mind if I tell you about her, she is a very open person and believes that if parts of her story can encourage or inspire others, then it should be shared.
She moved from Poland with her husband and young son 20 years ago. I might be getting details mixed up, but I think her first home in Winnipeg was in the basement suite of a house on the street we lived on - but not the house she eventually bought.
Her children are (today) between the ages of 8 and 26. Her youngest three children were born in Canada. She will be a grandmother in a few months. She laughs when I talk about her looks, but she is very young looking and -in my opinion -glamorous - especially when she is going to church. :) Her commitment to the Polish Catholic faith is complete, and her youngest child is now attending catechism each week.
After some difficult times in her life, she spent some time reflecting. She calls it her awakening. I was privileged to be close enough in proximity and relationship to journey along with her on parts of the process. She even says that one day at lunch I called her 'strong' and convinced her that she might be. I think she was just open and ready to grow.
The awakening was in many ways spiritual (or at least, that was the most evident part to me). She became increasingly aware of God's presence in her life and realized that he'd been there all along, but she just hadn't been as aware. All of a sudden, music, sunrises, conversations, tears, patients in her health care role, her children -most things in her daily life - took on new meaning and she saw something deeper. Her world was different. There was a new beauty in every day and I actually saw this happening in her. Conversations with her changed, her voice and even her face changed as she 'awoke' to something new. She started each new day feeling with a security and faith that were becoming companions and increasing her joy.
There have been many changes in her life since she 'awoke' - most of them difficult ones. But she continues to align her life and choices with the things she's realized. For example, she told me last night that her children will find very little in the way of 'things' under the tree at Christmastime from now on - instead money will be spent on EXPERIENCES to enjoy together. (they went on a four week holiday to Europe this past summer and she takes them to plays and performances as often as she can...)
Zofia is a poet.
We spent some of our time together typing and editing her poetry... I'm attaching two of my favorites.. one old (from when we were neighbors) and one that she just shared with me.
(remember that english is Zofia's 2nd language.. so try to hear the poems with a wonderfully accented voice... :)
Droplets that Broke the Spell
The droplets were falling slow
From every direction that I’ve ever known
Every one came on time, landed deep
I couldn’t run away from them or skip
The droplets were timely, it wasn’t a chance
They would not allow me to live in the same trance
Every one brought its message, made me think
If I continued on the same course, I would only sink
The awakening had happened to me
Because my spirit was meant to be free
Wasn’t meant to be suppressed and kept in a cage
Such a treatment is certain to trigger some rage
The next chapter is up to me to write
If only the guidance sustains by my side
I received special tool, I can’t afford to lose
I hope the page stays open so I can use
The gift that I was presented for free
Which was the understanding that made me to see
That everything is different, nothing is the same
I was allowed to enter another life game
The awakening had happened to me
Because my spirit was meant to be free
Was meant to be loved, cherished every day
Such assurance is certain to keep me on the right way
My heart’s deep desire is answered at last
I need to stay tuned, so it would not pass
I hope the droplets will continue to appear
So one day I can say: “ I am completely free, without fear.”
The Power of Thought
There is way more here for me
Than your naked eye can see
I am following my dream
Its not triggered by a sin
There is thought behind my action
You could say I’m on a mission
The light is green, its only fair
I’m taking time to thoroughly prepare
My intention stays the same
Regardless of what you say
It will not weaken my strength,
It does not matter what you think
The presumption is on you
The conclusion that you drew
Is a product of your thought
Will not change the way I talk
There is way more here for me
Than your naked eye can see
I will try and try again
As long as it won’t cause pain
As long as its meant to be
The result will come, you’ll see
Impossible is nothing, dear,
Something whispers to my ear
Don’t you try to stop me now,
I’m determined, my dear pal
I feel this internal need,
I’ll try hard- I might succeed
I will not be stopped by fear
I’ll pursue my dream, its near
If I gave up, never tried,
I could waste my entire life

hello....I could make a load of comments about your last few posts, but I will rather look forward to a coffee date in the next month or two.
ReplyDeletethanks for the poems. happy new year.
LB
Another beautiful post, Kelly. I hope your christmas was fabulous! I too, would look forward to a coffee date in the next little while here...:)
ReplyDelete