sometimes we find out that someone we know is connected to someone else we know, and it reminds us just how small the world is... What's the philosophy I've heard? Six degrees of separation?!?!? It's good to be reminded about the ways that we're connected. It's good to find common relationships and experiences - they build bridges between people and foster community.
.... but what about how we're connected because our actions have an impact on others? we're connected because the smile you offered to the stranger on in the parking lot made him less annoyed when I cut him off in traffic. I offer to do an errand or a favor for you, and suddenly you have time for a less distracted conversation when your mom or sister calls. A neighbor shovels your driveway, and your kids enjoy a longer, more relaxed playtime... it all goes around beautifully... and mostly without being noticed.
or, more deeply; our actions impact each other because your love, compassion and acceptance help healing and trust to grow in my life. I encourage you and you feel increasingly confident and courageous. We talk to each other about God and both of our spiritual lives are enhanced.
It seems like every thing we do - big, little, in between - affects others.
It's good to be reminded of this!
... how about when our actions have an impact that is not desired or less than positive? When something that you do affects my life, changes my circumstances, or creates a burden that I have to respond to even though I didn't choose it? What then? Now, the small world is not so warm or fuzzy, right? Now, we wish it were a more anonymous, private world - we long to protect ourselves from each other. We're tempted to think people aren't worth the bother. Lots of us live with shades of this response affecting all of their relationships.
But what happened to that beautiful interconnected-ness - it's only beautiful if it is positive? If things are going well, if I'm getting what I want? If you do what I think you should do, and if we all feel accepted by eachother?
Or is the potential of carrying an unwanted burden a fair price to pay in order to have the opportunity to experience the beautiful things about relationships? Does the potential of having to respond to situations we wouldn't have chosen create opportunity for more than stronger relationships - isn't it also an opportunity for growth as people? .... to be increasingly shaped, increasingly compassionate, increasingly forgiving, increasingly loving? ... and can those things grow as beautiful in soil that wasn't fortified with sorrow and difficulty?
Isn't carrying the burdens of others actually a privilege?
It is a small, connected world, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to engage - to ENTER IN - and to be part of what God is doing, where He's working.. whether I like what's happening or not. I'm increasingly aware of what a lie it is to believe that we have no impact and that our decisions don't affect others. It really is a small world.
I'm also wanting to be less concerned about expecting outcomes that are part of my plan .... and more open to letting the things that are going on shape and prepare me.

No comments:
Post a Comment