Monday, January 12, 2009

Winnipeg update #2

Hey it's team Winnipeg again! AKA Cel and Kel here to give you a genuine update on the life and times of the bustling city. :)

So it's Kelly (Bart) here. The missions trip has been a huge learning experience thus far. I feel so blessed to have a team that is so supportive throughout all the experiences we've had. There have been times of encouragement where God's presence has been clearly evident, and other times when our team has witnessed things we never thought we would. It has all been a time of learning and our team will usually have a community journalling time at the end of the day when we are able to have some intense discussions. Most of these revolve around love, justice, and the church. A highlight of the trip was spurred by the conversation we had the first night. It came on the third night when the guys surprised the girls by buying us roses and telling us how loved and beautiful each of us is. We are learning how to incorporate love into our everyday lives and what being a Christian truly involves, which is more than most people had thought at first. The trip has been a turbulent mixture of emotions, trying and uncomfortable times, and fun team bonding and I am excited to see what the rest of the week will bring! Over and out.

Eh it's Celeste! Oh my lanta I don't even know how to start talking about this trip. As Kelly said we've already had so much fun and a plethora of "revelations" (according to Nick), I can't even believe that we've only been here for three full days. So while me and Kelly are all nice and warm in this office the rest of the team is in the garage of Inner City Youth Alive sorting old bikes and things that have been in storage since they had a fire in their workshop a few months ago. Tonight I think the plans are to meet with some friends of both Kelly D. and Harvey (our sort-of-tour-guide-leader-guy for this trip). I think one of the biggest lessons I've learnt on this trip is how God's plans are so seldom our own. The biggest blessings have happened when we've stopped what we're doing and just listen to God and adjust our plans accordingly. Last night was a good example. We went to a couple's house who had both previously worked at Inner City and we had dinner and just hung out. I don't think anyone expected anything more than that but as we were getting ready to leave people just started opening up and the night turned into an intense time of prayer and connections. Well I'm too tired to think of anything else to say so I'll hand it over to our fearless leader. Peace.

This is Kelly D.. and ... fearless? not so sure if that is fitting, but I must say I LOVE THE NORTH END OF WINNIPEG!! This trip has reconnected me with some intense emotions from back in the day when I worked with the organization our team is connecting with.. My heart is so at home here, and I've been startled at some of the events our team feels unsure about, because my steps in this place are sure and confident. THis is the place where I learned to rely fully on the Lord each and every day... Re-establishing that familiar connection on familiar streets - even with familiar faces - feels right and good.... but also brings many other mixed up emotions, too!!!

Keep reading and checking the blog .. we've still got many things planned. We're looking forward to making a meal for a group tonight.. pray with us that we'd learn from the people we meet and have sweet fellowship together. (By the way, that has been an intense lesson for us on this trip.. realizing that our time is much less about bringing or offering something we possess, but instead learning more about the depth and beauty of God from people in very different circumstances. We've quickly realized that much more is being offered to us than we could offer to others....)

Appreciate your prayers!!! Please pray for all the teams in Calgary, Saskatoon, Kelowna, northern SK, and Peru. If we can pray for you, let us know!! Take care..

1 comment:

  1. WOW - GREAT UPDATE!
    Know I am praying for you guys!
    Blessings as you keep on keeping on! Sounds like God is teaching you all amazing things!
    Roses were a lovely touch!
    Signed,
    Holding down the fort in Hepburn!!!
    RuthL

    ReplyDelete