Sunday, June 7, 2009

encouraged.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling quite a bit of doubt and tension about our recent decisions. There is so much change and so much risk, but also so much potential and so much to learn. I was looking to God and asking for one thing He doesn't promise.. guaranteed success. That would be the opposite of faith, I guess. I wrote a prayer in my journal, asking for confirmation or some sign of hope to encourage my sagging spirits.

A few hours later, Owen was practicing some worship songs on his guitar, and we were chatting.. he said he wanted to be on a youth worship band in church next year. I took his optimism as a sign of promise and encouragement.

A few hours after that, I was watching tv and I happened upon this show that talked about the 'unsinkable Molly Brown' (read more here - she's quite something!) and was encouraged to hear about the parents of this feisty woman, who insisted on educational pursuits that we're simply not part of their culture at the time. They went a little against the grain, took some flack, and there were some positive benefits after all was said and done. A program that would have intrigued me on any old day suddenly provided encouragement on this particular day.

Later, when I came upstairs, there was Syd, laptop humming... checking out the dance school she hopes to go to next year, reviewing their schedule and planning the best way to take the classes she most wants to be in. More encouragement.

Finally, the day is done. I put my head down, and I'm so comfortable. The pillow, the blankets, Brendan's arm.. all perfectly arranged .... I feel completely enveloped in peace. And full of hope.

It was a very good day. Actually, God is good, and He is near.

*******************************************
ps: check out the previous post about addiction. its an interesting topic and one that really gives us pause. I've been interested to see who responds to the concept that we're all addicted with interest, and who immediately shoots it down as psychomumbojumbo. :)

4 comments:

  1. So nicely written... also gives me hope with our planned move. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good! Again I say I am so excited for you guys!! I have tons of peace when ever flatlanders is brought up although I am not very good at explaining it to people!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this Heidi Fast that is moving?
    When? Where? Sorry for all of te questions if it's not her!
    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, West,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete