Monday, August 10, 2009

Equifinality

Have you heard the term "equifinality" before? I hadn't until recently. I learned it in one of my counselling texts.



"Equifinality is a 'crucial construct among theories... what it means is this: if your ultimate goal was to fly from your hometown to Chicago, you might simply hop a non-stop flight from the nearest airport directly to Chicago. Equifinality, or 'equal finality' suggests that you could ultimately arrive in Chicago by less direct or less efficient means.... For example, you could fly from your hometown to Miami, then go directly to Chicago. Or, for an even more convoluted trip, you might might go from your hometown to Paris, France. Then instead of going directly to Chicago, you might decide to stop in Los Angeles first. And once in LA, you might decide to check out New York city, by way of Canada, and THEN go to Chicago - your ultimate destination. No matter what the route, the goal was accomplished. Of course, the most energy and time efficient method was the direct flight to Chicago." (from Counselling Addicted Families, Hagedorn and Juhnke)
This description, and its application to counselling theory and life in general (at least for the purpose of this post), reminds me of a memorable and meaningful C.S. Lewis quote Lisa shared with me:
"You may be sure the Landlord has brought you the shortest way; though I confess it would look an odd journey on a map." (from Pilgrim's Regress)
For someone who values efficiency, learning to appreciate the value and opportunity found in 'equifinality' is tricky and requires genuine discipline. I actually have to catch those things in my mind that are going in a certain direction (efficiency!) and re-route them to incorporate this radical (to my way of processing information) new information.
Simply stated - There is value in the changes and challenges that cause us to feel side-swiped. There is something to be gained from the unexpected, from the inefficient. And really, why am I so concerned with efficiency anyway?
There is something profound about letting go and not managing things to look the way we think they ought to. There is something profound about being open to another way. I've managed to type this whole post without using the c-word. (control) - but I think its an important concept towards grasping equifinality.
There is something profound about being genuinely okay that I don't already have it all figured out.
What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. I know I need to control less, all that you mentioned is so much easier understood then it is done. I think I need something posted in my house as a reminder to let go, to trust, to not feel like if i don't have it all figured I am failing in some way... I know i should do all these things I understand why but I don't live it out at all.
    So I pray,
    God please help me to trust You, Help me allow you to be the one in control. I know so little about the benefits of the journey or really even the destination please guide me and shape me. I love You! Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,
    i do not know who you are but i just happened to click on your blog. I just learnt what equifinality today in my management class and wanted to do some research on it. thats when i happened to chance on your blog.
    Just wanted to say tt what you wrote about equifinality sounds really good and got me thinking a little.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,
    I just so happened on your blog as well today because I am giving a talk at a worship service tomorrow night on equifinality. I had never thought of it in that way before, of being ok with not having control. It's really interesting to think of it that way. The way I was first kind of told (from what I think was a God moment) was this idea of accepting or at least considering other people's views. This idea of actually listening to people and understanding that though we have different opinions, there is still a very good chance we will get to the same conclusions later in life.
    Thank you for your post on this, it opened up my eyes to a completely different perspective on this.

    ReplyDelete