Sunday, August 9, 2009

initial thoughts

In a few weeks or months, I'm sure I'll be communicating much more succintly about our experience as Flatlanders. But right now, I'll just share some early observations...
  • living in community is good. You can't really hide or pretend about anything. I like this. If there was a grid with 'isolating/insulating ourselves' at one end and 'exposing ourselves/embracing vulnerability' at the other end, human nature seems to dictate that being closer to the vulnerability end resonates more with how we're made than the alternative. And, realistically, there is pain and challenge regardless. (ask me how I feel about this in a few months .. hopefully I'll have learned a few things that will only deepen this value!
  • Some of Flatlanders food is provided by Winnipeg Harvest. This is an interesting dynamic.. because they distribute what is donated to them by local grocers/restaurants. You get what you get, and its great! (often, what you get comes in very large quantities ... like about 40 packages of chicken wieners.) Meals can be quite eclectic and interesting. Tonight, for example, we served up perogies, stir fried vegetables, and a broco-slaw cucumber salad. The freezer here is an interesting place. Squid tubes, anyone? I remember once in Hepburn when we were having a large group over for supper.. I had a craving for barley soup, and I had the remnants of a pork roast and lots of broccoli in the fridge.. so I did a search for soup recipes with pork, barley, and broccoli. I had several options at the press of a key. Its going to be fun employing this strategy with even more unique ingredients!
  • Have I mentioned my amazing family? Bren is writing/journaling like mad, full of insights and observations. He had no idea about some of the things happening right in this neighborhood - the same one we lived in for years. Owen has been so open. (I'm a rhyming poet...) Sydney baked cookies today, and is loving the space and the opportunities here.
  • we are mostly unpacked and sorted. It is a great feeling.

Tomorrow, we begin our first week as residents here with 9am prayers. We are pretty pumped. And we're really thankful for this opportunity to learn and serve.... Thanks for reading, thanks for being interested, thanks for praying.

2 comments: