Wednesday, February 17, 2010

parenting thoughts

My adolescent daughter has recently given me a list of advice and tips that will help me be a better parent. I thought I'd share the insight with you, just incase you need as much help as I do.
  • Everyone lies, its what we're supposed to do. What do you think, people want to hear the TRUTH?!
  • Think really hard about what your kids want to hear, and then say only that. Nothing else matters, except that they hear what they want.
  • If your child has an opinion that you disagree with, they are right. And it doesn't matter what a parent or anyone else thinks.
  • Your child might tell you something today and change his/her mind tomorrow. You better change along with them and not expect anyone to think the same thing for two days in a row.
  • Parent's ideas and advice are stupid.
  • It was the olden days when you were a kid. You didn't even have a cell phone!
  • When kids know that their parents really 'get' them, it makes them even angrier. So don't let it be known that you know that they know they are being ridiculous.
  • A parent's job is to buy stuff, make food, and be quiet.

If you think I am making this up, welll ... only a little bit. It can be pretty outrageous in our house some days. Now this will be forever in the blogosphere. This way I can find it and read it at her wedding....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It's amazing what comes out of their heads sometimes!! Apparently I'm a bad parent, cause I tend to dish advice, needed or not! Now I think you should do a post about entitlement, one of the major issues this generation is dealing with! Gotta love teenagers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Since 2 of our kids are the same ages as yours, I can totally relate! Why, just yesterday, as we were all trapped inside the Corolla, winter clothes, snow boards et al.,(as I chauffeur them to the ski hill) I got off on one of my regular rants... the 12 yr. old said 'I'm not listening... I stopped listening a long time ago... ' I asked 'at the last corner... or years ago?' ha ha... it's still not going to stop me from talking... !! Some of it has to stick somewhere eventually... This is an interesting 'stage' that's for sure!!!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm sounds like a can of whoop a$$ needs to be cracked.

    ReplyDelete