Sunday, April 11, 2010

glowing

What are the things that make you glow from the inside?  For me, one of life's purest, simplest joys is waking up with my family in arm's reach - all in the same room!  It's the highlight of vacations that include hotels or camping.  I open my eyes and bask in it before I even look at the clock.  And my kids mock me for saying "I love being together" before I even say 'good morning'...

We've spent a lovely weekend in the bustling metropolis of Grand Forks, ND.  Our purpose was getting away, but also shopping - we all needed a few things so decided to come down and take advantage of the dollar at par while also spending time together.  We've explored TJ MAXX, Target, Scheers, and the local thrift stores (of course!).  I'm not really comfortable with the consumer emphasis, but I really needed some new runners, and I'm pumped about the pink Saucony ones I got at Columbia mall.  I also found an awesome running path near the university,  I managed to only get slightly lost... :)

We ate on the UND campus, at a local favorite called Red Pepper.  We had the favorite offering there - the grinder taco sandwich.  Mexican food is so good!

It's so good to get a little getaway.  Now we're even more excited about our July trip to San Francisco...

What are some of you planning for upcoming holidays?  What do you look forward to most?

6 comments:

  1. I have memories of you teasing me about my pink sauconies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just far too cliche to say that I look forward to not working the most? ha!

    I envy you. I live about 1500 miles away from family. It's tough, but it helps me to appreciate those moments together more and keeps me motivated to save so that I can move closer to them again one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being with family too! It's one of my favourite parts of vacation too. That and checking out all the sites that I have never seen! I love vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to wake up and feel that all is well and normal. I love knowing that coffee with Dave is a phone call if not a short walk away, I love driving down 8th street and thinking, "I'm close to Em and Kev, I should call them or pop and see if they want to grab coffee or a movie... or both." I love the feeling of my wool coat and scarf, I love the crunch of snow under my feet, the beauty of an open field, the awe of a mountain, and the freedom of my car and an open highway. I love good coffee shared with friends.

    And all of those are things I have to wait for to have again. So my answer to your question is that I love thinking about them. As for travel plans... I am going to Ecuador in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps. Thanks for this post Kelly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, you just have to pose a question to get comments! I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Otter Falls!
    Lorre

    ReplyDelete