I don't know other cities as well, but some things are pretty consistent in other places I've visitied. Take pawn shops - you don't usually find many of those in the suburbs. They're a pretty important part of the economy down here. They actually used to be MORE important, before the MoneyMart and PayDay Loan folks came in to offer a helping hand. I can even remember back in the day when there were banks in the neighborhood. But, they all pulled out some time ago. There are some good corporate citizens out there though.
But what prompted me to write this post is some of the more underground kind of stuff. Did you know that you can trade in bus tickets (given to you by social services) for smokes? Or cash? Did you know that you can buy or sell single smokes? Did you know that there are even local stores that will give you cash money for the frozen meat you got from the food bank or charity? How about drugs - you can trade your prescription meds for street drugs. And, just incase one of the local doctors is onto you, there are at least half a dozen walk in clinics within a few blocks. Just go to another physician and complain of other ailments. You can fill another prescription as long as you don't take it to the same pharmacy. (but don't worry, there are even more of those than there are clinics!)
I'm regularly surprised by the stuff I learn by hanging out on Main Street. But, one day earlier this summer, I was totally shocked by a new spin on the north end economy ...
I was waiting for a friend who I thought might be lost. I found a paper bag with this note sticking out..
This is what was in the bag.
This neighborhood NEVER ceases to surprise me!
Although the content is questionable, I'd say this is North End economy at its finest... generosity, good will, and a desire to do a good turn for a stranger!
Did you have fun?
ReplyDeletehaha - we had good laughs. (And disposed of the stuff.)
ReplyDeletereally???
ReplyDeleteOh, that's where that bag came from that I found in my garage! I was wondering who left it there!
ReplyDelete