Thursday, August 26, 2010

pick me!

I'm really pleased to be working with an amazing group of people on an upcoming Church Planting/Missional Communities event.  (well, about a year from now.)  I'm not sure what fluke caused them to pick me to help design this event, but so far they haven't identified me as the imposter I feel like!

I was supposed to deliver an inspiring thought to start our day long meeting this morning, and I was feeling about as inspired as a dirty sock both when I fell into bed last night and when the alarm went off this morning.
So, after I had made the coffee and gotten settled into our meeting space this morning, I shared with this group of leaders that I was sadly not going to fulfill this agenda item very well. 

I looked around the room, and asked the various denominational and church leaders if they ever felt like they were walking around in life with a big target stapled to their shirt.  If they'd ever felt like it was a day or season for people and situations to conspire to take free shots ALL AT THE SAME TIME!
Everyone seemed to know exactly what I was talking about!
So, we together reflected a bit on what a risky and exciting gift it is to lead.
the knowing nods around the table spoke of much sacrifice.
I was glad for the reminder that leadership is more about sacrifice than about many of the other things it is frequently likened to.

No comments:

Post a Comment