Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I am Suzy Homemaker

Well, after the last post that was long and heavy, here's one that is lighter and a little more random... :)
Lots of people have been asking me how I like being 'at home'. On one hand, I really do. On the other hand, I'm not really sure where I ever found the time to work full time, because each day is so full! I can only think of three days where I was actually home all day!
But, in the spirit of being a 'home-maker' (and I realize I'm a poor excuse for one!) here are some thoughts from recent days in our house:
  • Renee's is making a bottled salad dressing called Blue Cheese and Pear.. pour this on Spring Mix, Dried Cranberries, a chopped pear, some pecans... YUMMY summer salad!
  • The PC imitation Activia Yogurt is very good, especially the vanilla flavor. I've been eating it lots with fruit and granola. The kids are tired of it for breakfast!
  • I've had a couple of chances to use the Norwex sweeper-mop. I know its pricy, but it's awesome. (and I now have to eat all those cynical comments about Norwex made to my two sisters who have tried to convert me. And I guess I should apologize for the eye rolling while I'm at it....) I may have to get one.. when I have a job!
  • Rice milk does not steam as well as dairy. But there is still no way for a latte or London Fog to taste bad..
  • I've been doing some house cleaning with my friend Gloria. I think I like working in others' homes.. its very satisfying and the clients really feel like it makes a difference in their family's routine. We clean one house where mom is expecting twins and has two preschoolers. I like being a helper! And its nice to do work with immediate and visible results!
  • Have you tried the hummus in the deli cooler at Superstore/Extra Foods? Its as good as homemade. (well better than my homemade but not as good as Cory's!) We've been liking the garlic or spicy varieties. Hummus and crackers or veggies is great travelling or camping food - we discovered this on our last trip to MB.
  • With open houses and trying to sell the house, we've really been on a decluttering kick.. even Syd sent TWO garbage bags to Value Village.
  • The restaurant in Dalmeny is worth trying, even if you live in Hepburn and get lost on the way due to grid roads that all look the same. Its called 'Whats on Third' and its in the strip mall on 3rd by the food store and credit union. They have about 8 different pies to choose from every day. YMMM!!

Now to put away distraction and write a paper.....

*******************************************

Wait.. a couple of thoughts from recent discussions:

"Say no to the 'good' things so you can do the 'right' things - Lori

"You may be sure the Landlord has brought you the shortest way; though I confess it would look an odd journey on a map." - CS Lewis, via Lisa

"Consider the 'descending' way of Jesus - last becomes first and first becomes last - Jesus chose the small, hidden, and poor things of this world. The love of God is visible through Jesus' way of 'descending' rather than 'ascending'. Jesus chose to be poor with the poor, and He modeled this as the way to know God." - Henri Nouwen, via Gloria

"We cannot make good decisions without eachother. We need to seek to be filled TOGETHER, as a household of faith, a community of love, a family." - Jeff, as part of a message about Ephesians/living wisely

No comments:

Post a Comment