Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What the random?!!?

Just a few random thoughts as I sit here in Caronport...

  • have you looked at the 43things site? i love the idea of a life list.. that you can add to and modify .. and a site that inspires you with lots of great ideas from others ....

  • a few thoughts/stats from my learning this week - did you know that of the people who do prenatal testing and learn that they are having a child with Down Syndrome - between 80-90% will terminate the pregnancy. This brought tears to my eyes. And have you heard of 'partial birth'? I had not. If you have not, consider yourself lucky.

  • Have you ever thought of FAS/FASD in the same way as you think of Down's Syndrome? Although one is avoidable and one is not, from the perspective of the affected person, they are the same. Have you considered the staggering effects of FAS/D in certain communities - I was realizing today that its sort of like compound interest in the way that the initial circumstance multiplies exponentially with each generation. Staggering. I'm starting to have some new realizations.
  • *** the same as in something that must be coped with every day but was never asked for..
  • In case you haven't heard, our house hasn't sold. aaarrgghhh!! We really hope it sells soon! Two more open houses this weekend...

  • Soccer season has started.. O is wearing GOLD cleats ('Boots') this year. He is really loving the game now! I am sad that I have to miss his first three games :(

  • I had forgotten how much I enjoy group fitness classes. Step classes at Bethany are awesome, and its too bad they are over for the season! Boot camp was not awesome. My favorite group class ever was called 'turboKelly' - I took it at the Polish Club in Winnipeg (Main and Machray-ish?). Sydney came with me and also loved it. (not!)

  • Speaking of fitness, I have allowed myself to be way too stressed for the last two years - its amazing how different my body is as a result. (plus aging, sleeplessness, constant cold/flu ... all that good stuff.. )... But, I am committed to undoing what I let happen. THats my public declaration - it creates a small bit of accountability! I have also set a goal of cycling 500K this summer!

  • Syd turns 12 next week. It feels like shes been 14 for the past two years! We are thinking about doing a Hepburn scavenger hunt as part of the celebrations... should be fun. She loves her birthday, and thinks it should be a weekend long party. Perhaps even a national holiday.
  • Have you ever visited the Marriage and Family Therapy website? Me either. But I've been there a few times now as I consider the program I'm in at Briercrest and my professional future. Check it out.

This is my amazing niece, Ally. She is only 11! These photos are from her first dance competition. She's not only an amazing dancer, shes just an all around amazing kid!

  • I was reading a devotional book last week that defined the word SELAH in the Psalms as 'pausing to praise'. This season is so ripe with 'pause-worthy' things... buds forming, landscape beginning to turn from brown to green, children outdoors biking and playing, ... and my favorite - prairie fields being prepared. I can't wait for the 'mint chocolate chip' colors that will emerge after seeding! I'll end this post with a wish for you to be finding many moments of contemplation, worship, and feeling overwhelmed with much praise!

****************************************************

From Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.

Selah


Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Selah


"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Selah

1 comment: