We've had some interesting responses from friends and family as we've settled in to community life in the inner city. I thought I'd share a few...
"Is this like a midlife crisis or something? Aren't you guys too young for a midlife crisis?"
"Main and where? there are no houses there. ARe you living in a condemned building?"
"So.. where are your kids going to live, then?"
"My car's been in the parking lot for half an hour, should we check if its still there?"
"You're the family that lives at Flatlanders? We're so excited to have you with us!"
"Let me know when you get a real house, then I'll visit you! Or maybe we could go to a restaurant to visit?"
"YOu live in a church? That must be convenient on Sundays!"
"It's so good to have a family here!"
"Wow, I guess that decision is the definition of calling!"
"Are you running away from something?"
"Why?"
"Your kids can sleep over at our place, 'cuz ours are sure not going there! We only have two of them, you know!"
"What do you do to feel safe?"
These responses have at times been hilarious, at other times heartbreaking. To be honest, I was simply unprepared for the level of skepticism we've encountered. Don't hear me emphasizing only the negative; there have been many encouragements and affirmations too! And don't hear me only questioning the questioners; we had to come to terms with our fair share of questions, too.
The vision for Flatlanders Inn includes many more families to living here in the years ahead. In fact two family units are going to be under construction by the end of the year. You know, my heart for that vision is growing daily; not only for what it means for the Flatlanders community, but also for what it could mean in the broader community.
Have you seen that MCC poster that has a bunch of sayings about building global community? One of the sayings reads: "Don't confuse your comfort with your safety." That line has played in my mind often lately!
I re-read Mark's account of the Gerasene (Gadarene?) demoniac this morning, and again at our worship night tonight. Mark spends more time on this story than do Luke and Matthew, I think it's because Mark is emphasizing the importance of the kingdom ministry of breaking down barriers. Early in his modeling to his followers, Jesus chose to take them to a place where there were many things they would have had no previous experience of; things that were completely UNSAFE for a good Jew. He exposed them to: demons, gentiles, pigs, blood, tombs - he brought them to the least safe place imagineable! (Imagine those boys getting out of the boat, mouths agape, minds racing, wondering what on earth this Jesus was leading them into! And wondering how they could ever get clean again!) By the end of this story, Jesus demonstrates some of what he was on earth to accomplish - some important aspects of the ministry that would ultimately be passed on to those who follow him. I love that he knew all the rules and methodically went about breaking them! I love that he showed - not just told, but SHOWED - how the rules were not only unhelpful, they weren't even in accordance with the scriptures they were supposedly founded upon.
I first printed off and pasted that passage in my journal over a year ago. I've been thinking on it for a while now, and there are still new things when I read it again. I love that story. My favorite part is when the madman is clothed (having been naked) and restored, sitting calmly, conversing with Jesus. I see that image in my head and the word DIGNITY comes to mind. What hope did he have if jesus hadn't come to him? There would have been no way he could have come anywhere near Jesus on his own - the dividing walls were just too big. Jesus had to make the first move for someone in his circumstances.
Jesus came, defying all logic and reason. He came to the man living in the tombs, and he comes to us.
I can identify with alot of the comments you have recieved... I've thought most of them myself. Thinking about your family making this huge decision to change everything you know, give up so much and trade so many luxeries... to live where you are now. Doesn't make alot of sense. Its something I struggled through for a bit. But, God is working in me... and I'm so embarrassed at my previous reaction. I feel the need to apologize for my thoughts, I'm sorry for judging you. What you guys are doing is exactly what we all should be doing... even if I don't move... to give up some of my luxeries, put the less fortunate ahead of myself... and most important for me to see the lowest people of society as a child of God EQUAL to me in Gods eyes.
ReplyDeleteYou have encouraged and inspired me. Thank you for keeping up with your blog, I always look forward to reading and catching up with you guys.
Reading this post reminded me of when I questioned a friend who was a missionary, about putting herself in an unsafe country. She said "the safest place to be, is in God's will."
And thats where you are.
One of my favorite songs/stories....reading your blog reminded me of it....
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
MEd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QqCnO2q0cc
We are all the same, only some have figured out how to play the game society requires of us, better than others.
ReplyDeleteH.
dianne; you're beatiful. I wish we'd have hung out more! Thanks for articulating the "J" word. Judgement has been a pretty heavy burden in our lives of late and you had the courage to speak it out.
ReplyDeleteMEd: I miss you. How nice it would be to wander in to the library for one of those always-too-short chats about great ideas, great books, or some inspiring story. Blessings to you and thanks for reading! Visit often!
H: I have nothing to say about your comment. But I do have this to say: WHY HAVENT WE GOTTEN TOGETHER?!!?? I miss you. We should eat thai food soon.
I have comments like this every time I share the belief that Christians should call for orphans (based on what our Bible says), adopt etc. So I can relate (((hugs))) My opinion is that often people want what you are doing to seem abnormal so that they don't have to question their norms.
ReplyDelete"Jesus came, defying all logic and reason. He came to the man living in the tombs, and he comes to us" -AMEN!