you know those days? ThOSE Days?! I've had two of them: yesterday and today! I'm supposed to be studying, but even though I finally have the opportunity, my ability to engage is less than nil. I've been more absorbed in the titles around me than what I need to accomplish.
For example: did you know there is a 'Thesaurus of Slang'? I need the humor, so forgive me, I stopped flipping through pages at the expletives section. Forgive me again, I laughed out loud. Quite entertaining... would you believe there is a FULL page of slang words for drunk? Here are a few:
illuminated, stewed to the gills, pissed to the ears, potty, muddled, six sheets to the wind, elevated, rumdum, full of Dutch courage, walking on rocky socks, ate the dog, blotto, put to bed with a shovel... and the list goes on and on... hehe!
I think i'd like to be walking on rocky socks right now.. I'd even just settle for that one tequila shooter I turned down a couple weeks ago at our jr. hi reunion... but the library folks in Winnipeg don't serve tequila on Thursdays, so I'll have to make do with the Americano I smuggled in.
okay.. I would like to redeem this post slightly. In that direction, I pulled the Encyclopedia of American Religious Creeds of the shelf. I do have several creeds to study for my Theology Doctrines class... But, come on! ... The creed for REASON is in there, as published in the constitution of the Gay Atheist League... okay, so that wasn't terribly redemptive....

The reason I elected to do a blog post right now is that I thought it might help me a) find the humor in the last couple of days and b) vent - so that I can focus.
So, indulge my self-centeredness here and let me tell you some of the events of the past 48 hours. I promise you'll laugh....
- My computer automatically shuts down at will. I am convinced that its from the games my kids play on it, but they laugh at me for suggesting that. So even in the blessed little time I manage to set aside for school work, whether or not I'll have anything to work from is a crapshoot. In the past 48 hours, I have spent about 4 hours trying to turn on my computer.
- My daughter was so absorbed in adolescent angst yesterday that she actually got out of the car in a parking lot and told me she was taking the bus home, that she was DONE with me. I sat there and wondered whose life I had mistakenly been inserted into.
- I'd love to tell you the whole story of my desire to have a workout today at the Y. But I can't stand the idea of typing it all out.. here are some of the elements that resulted in no workout despite trying to make a class at two different branches:
- I was directed to the aerobics studio inside the downtown Y by three different volunteer attendants, all of whom didn't speak a blessed word of English. By the 2nd time I came to one of them, she was angry at me for now knowing my way around. She actually grabbed my arm as I went into a hallway to explore and told me to follow the directions I'd already followed twice. I managed to suppress the urge to throw a tantrum, but I didn't ever find the aerobics class (at least not in time.) I am comforting myself by imagining the amount of calories burned in the act of resisting the compulsion to throw myself on the floor and cry.
- I wanted to find a coffee shop with wireless internet for the afternoon. I went in to this one place i remember frequenting in the past and it is now a catering service. Same name, same location, except you walk in and the seating area is barricaded off. Had to be today...
- One of my housemates decided that today was the day I should be informed of my flaws, at least as they rate on her measuring stick.
- Bren just called to let me know about a speeding ticket he got today. He tried to tell the nice officer that he was engaged in a year of volunteer service AND paying for his wife's education, and accumulating debt by the day.. but she gave him the ticket anyways.
There is actually MORE, but that is enough venting. I hope you're laughing. I think I'm ready to hit the books... if you actually want some advice about having THoSE days, check this out.
I actually told the officer that I was very glad that she had nothing better to do than give out speeding tickets to people going 10 over. didn't even try to weasel my way out.
ReplyDeleteEB: So good to hear your voice. (and yes, that is valid in the blogosphere..I could see and hear you in my office, saying the above.!)
ReplyDeleteyou are way rad-er, my inspiring friend.
Bren: you will enjoy the community service... :)