Both in online and in person conversation lately, the subjects of the emerging church, tradition, social justice, and unity/disunity have come up quite often. Surprisingly so and in interesting combinations. Here are a few links to check out if you're interested in this discussion.
Lisa posted this link on Facebook today. The post talks about how we can veer too far in the direction of either engagement with or devotion to Jesus, at the exclusion of the other. Interesting thoughts.
Jamie's blog featured this post about the new 'Jesus manifesto' (Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola)a couple of weeks ago.. he also linked to an interesting response to Sweet and Viola's manifesto.
I'm interested in this dialogue. I'm learning as I read scripture, talk to friends, read others' thoughts, and just ponder it all.
One of my 'responses' came from some extended time spent journalling while on holidays last week. I really enjoyed leafing through some old magazines, collecting images that 'spoke'. The result was a prayer collage of pictures, quotes, and stories that remind me of some important things, like:
-the world is so much bigger than what I can know or see
-eternity is unfathomable
-one size doesn't fit all (nor does one expression of love)
-the church is always engaged in mild, moderate, or extensive reformation
-beauty always exists, hope does prevail (even though broken community and injustice are so painfully real... and excruciatingly necessary)
For tonight, I'm encouraged about the 'engaging' I've noticed..
I'm encouraged about the passion I've heard.
I'm encouraged about how much emphasis there is on love.
I'm encouraged by genuine devotion to Jesus.
"May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else..." From 1 Thessalonians 3
(wow.. this is two posts in one day... don't miss our holiday pictures below!)
I like it! I will read the links today. Loved looking through the vacation pics too :) Oh.... Syd just rolled out of bed - off to scrapbook :)
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to mention--The online “Jesus Manifesto” essay by Sweet & Viola has just been expanded to a 200-page book called JESUS MANIFESTO (published by Thomas Nelson). The book releases Tuesday, June 1st at a discount from Amazon.com. :) Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0849946018?tag=stellardesign-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeA
ReplyDelete