Friday, July 31, 2009

thoughts about courage

This article about Jimmy Carter was rolling around in my thoughts for a few days last week. It refers to Jimmy's public decision to separate himself from the denomination he was associated with in order to support a position that he has decided is 'bigger' than this affiliation. It quotes from a letter he wrote explaining his decision.

I read the article, and was surprised by what stayed with me. (you should too if this post is going to make any sense to you, and while you're at it, you could get more details about the Elders and a variety of interesting (mostly female) perspectives here.)

.... What stayed with me wasn't the emphasis on women's issues, although that is an important topic. I was interested in the idea that our treatment of women in the North American church is at all tied to how women are treated in other contexts all over the globe. This is a valid connection that I want to think and learn more about.

.... Nor was it the fact that I completely identified with Jimmy's position about the questionable conclusions in scripture about female roles:


"The carefully selected verses found in the Holy Scriptures to justify
the superiority of men owe more to time and place -
and the determination of male leaders to hold onto their influence -
than eternal truths. Similar biblical excerpts could be found to
support the approval of slavery and the timid acquiescence
to oppressive rulers."
I hear shades of many conversations I've had in that excerpt! I also hear shades the oft-quoted Rich Mullins:
"You guys are all into that born again thing,
which is great. We do need to be born again,
since Jesus said that to a guy named Nicodemus.
But if you tell me I have to be born again to
enter the kingdom of God, I can tell you that you just have to sell
everything you have and give it to the poor,
because Jesus said that to one guy too…
[And he paused in the awkward silence.]
But I guess that’s why God invented highlighters,
so we can highlight the parts we like and ignore the rest."


... It also wasn't because I learned about the Elders, which seems like a grand idea. What a concept.. using one's influence to ... INFLUENCE!

No, what ended up staying with me was appreciation for Jimmy's courage. Dare I say that he had bal... okay, I won't finish that statement, it might be crude. (and I'm NEVER crude.)

At the end of the day, he had the courage to stand up for something that he believed was important.
He had the courage to separate himself - generously, graciously, kindly, but also assertively and with authenticity - from something that he believed was more harmful than helpful. He didn't slink away quietly and retreat until everything blew over. He didn't gloss over the truth of why he was reconsidering his alignment. He was just plain courageous. He was just plain honest.

Maybe we should be asking why that is so very inspiring and refreshing.....

2 comments:

  1. I will quote Owen here... "very nice".
    I so appreciate how you always get me thinking bigger then my "yard".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love me some Jimmy Carter! Thank you so much for this post.

    Yanno, a dear friend of mine who passed away a few years back was an Episcopalian pastor. I remember railing on once about how "fundamentalists" (us vs. them banter is always so helpful, isn't it?) were distorting the Bible and blah blah blah...

    He told me that we all quote scripture to justify our personal theology, political reasoning, etc. We alllllll do it and believe that we are doing our best to stay on the right path.

    It was the first time I realized that these artificial divides we create are pretty useless and what I find so offensive in others is usually living in me as well. Makes it much harder to hate when you realize you're really just looking in a mirror.

    ReplyDelete